Inside my mind

5/01/2006

There is a difference

So in my hometown the battle of illegal immigrants verses American citizens continues on. Today is supposed to be "The day without an immigrant" day. They are doing it to prove a point that immigrants hold a vital place in the American economy. Ok, fine, but let me get the facts straight a little bit so I can ponder this. First off, immigrants are people who have come into this country legally, so I don't have a problem with that. If an individual from a foreign country wants to go through the process to legally live here I got nothing but respect for that. What I don't have respect for is the illegal immigrants, because what they do is against the law. "We are not criminals!" some of them say, but what else do you call a group of people who avoid taxes, abuse healthcare and welfare systems, and get the benefits of what other people's taxes have paid for? If there was a "day without illegal immigrants" I think we would be better off. Another disturbing fact is that the illegals are getting their voice heard and don't want to be punished for being here illegally, they are not even citizens with the right to vote yet they want things changed to accommodate them. My final point is that in order for a protest to have a lasting effect it has to have two main things: Numbers and length. Today's marches and stuff might have some numbers behind it to make it a slower day in the economy, but all those people will be going to the stores eventually, either yesterday or tomorrow. That is why a one day protest or boycott does not work, people will be back eventually, if you want to see how to do a real boycott look no further then Martin Luther King JR. So, in short, a day without an immigrant is just looking like any other day, except the lines at Wal-Mart might be a little shorter, which I don't mind because I am going there after work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home