Inside my mind

8/30/2006

The man, the myth, the legend

So the year was 1999 and I decided to work at the local ballpark for the summer since we had a new semi-pro baseball team. I worked in a concessions trailer making popcorn and nachos, and basically enjoying myself. I got called back the second season to work as the person in charge of the beer hawkers, they would get their product from me, I would write it down, figure out when we needed to order more beer, and cash them out at the end of the night. It got crazy some nights but I liked it, felt like I was more than just a standard employee. I decided not to come back the 3rd season, which turned out to be the last season that league would play. Jump forward a year or two, and a new league with new teams emerged, and once again we had baseball in my town, so I decided to go for it and see if I couldn't get on board to make a little extra money in the summer. I spent part of the season selling the parking passes, and the rest of the season as an usher. When it came time for the second season to start I was approached about taking on the role as the "personality" of the ballpark, someone who would get on the microphone to announce all the promos and events that happened in-between innings. I did that for a little while, but got moved to being a merchandise hawker (a move that was done behind my supervisors back and made several fans upset because they thought I was better than my future replacements). I didn't mind the move much, I got to mix and mingle with the crowd, and the hours suited me better. I made the official decision that this would be my last year as a ballpark worker, after four seasons I decided to hang it all up and worked my last game 2 nights ago. 4 seasons, various different duties, two teams, and several different supervisors, felt like I was out there for longer than the 4 summers I spent there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home