Inside my mind

11/04/2005

Friday night under the lights

So I did something tonight I have never done before. I went back to my old high school and watched some of the city championship football game, last time I saw a city game like that after high school I had just graduated the year before. It was interesting to be back there on a night like this, remembering all the times I sat in the bleachers and went crazy. Standing there I could see then, and remember back when, how for those few hours under those lights it was not just an ordinary football game, it was bragging rights for the rest of the year. There is so much excitement and buzz that you could feel it all the way into the parking lot (which was getting so packed that the cops where having to get onto people for parking illegally). I stood and watched from what is called "the hill", there is a road that runs up a hill that leads in and out of the high school, and from that road you can look down to see the field, people who didn't want to buy tickets or get there late can be found sitting in chairs along the fence or in the back of trucks. I could also see that some of the culture from when I was there was still around, guys with their toys. Several times guys rolled through with their lifted trucks, some their parents probably paid for, others they probably spent everything they had on it, all of them very nice looking. This town may have its share of "rice", but lifted trucks seem to be the most common modified vehicle (we do live in a desert area after all, with some spots to test out the 4 wheel drive). A few funny highlights: 3 members from the opposing team's band ran by the home team grandstand pumping their fists in the air, which got laughs from both sides. Both bands mixed and mingled, and started a very long conga line shortly after the 3rd quarter started. Funniest thing for me this evening: I was on my bike, and bike cops where rolling around, I got close to one and told him "nice ride, wanna run it?" He declined saying he never has the time, but he was cool about the joke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home