Inside my mind

6/09/2008

Making the grade

Today I went and picked up an order at Best Buy that I had purchased online and chose to pick it up at the store when it became available. This was the third store I had done this at, so I decided to grade three stores on this new concept of making the purchase at home and picking it up at the store to avoid the long lines and the shipping fees.

Store 1: Circuit City
I give them a D, I wanted to give them an F, but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I purchased a video game through their website and selected "pick up in store". I went in with my paperwork and was told that since the game was slightly older they didn't have it in stock, I was going to have to order it online and wait to have it shipped to me. Also, they had a policy that stated if i didn't get my purchase I would get a free gift card, never got it. Their whole system needed a overhaul or a swift kick in the pants. That was about a year ago, they may have gotten better since then.

Store 2: Best Buy
I give them a C. I was able to make my purchase online, and got confirmation when it was available from the store's merchandise. Went to pick it up, and the girl behind the counter told me that she had just gotten back from maternity leave, so she was having to get familiar with her job again. Add to that the fact that she probably never processed an order like that before and I could have saved time by showing up and buying the thing in store. Long story short, when it is available it really is waiting for you, but employee experience will determine how much time it takes to actually walk out with your product.

Store 3: Wal-Mart
I give them the highest grade of the three with a B. I purchased an item and did their "site to store" option. This means instead of it being delivered to my place and charged for delivery, it is sent to a wal-mart store I choose and I go and pick it up. I would give them an A if they pulled the product from their merchandise instead of a warehouse, then there would be less time between ordering and pick up. Some would argue to pay the delivery fee with the price of gas as it is, but I live pretty close and my car gets about 33-34 mpg, so I do see some savings in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home