Inside my mind

8/09/2008

Canyon running (sort of)

I have been limping around the last week with a brace on my left ankle. Pulled a tendon slightly away from the bone, it will heal up just fine, but I am limited to what I can do. Walking a long distance gets tedious, and I can't hop on either of my bikes. I needed to get out this evening, and that meant only one form of transportation will do: "Gixie", my Sentra. Granted it is a 5 speed so working the clutch after a while is a pain in the butt with the brace, but it beats sitting at home. I hopped on the interstate and headed East. I kept going, past the last turn off that would keep me in town. I reached a small mountain pass, this is what I was truly after. It reminds me of a good ride at the amusement park, long enough to be enjoyable, but it seems like it is over far too soon. After taking some of the turns about 10mph over the recommended speed I found myself on the other side of it, and pulled into the little town just 10 miles from it. After a 44oz drink from the local Chevron (which feel out of my cup holder and onto the floor in about 5 minutes, grrr), I was back on the interstate back home. Has I approached the pass again for the second and final time I noticed a car that was catching up behind me. I stayed on the right, he moved over to the left, and the first bend was coming up. Its a very long bend that makes about a 90 degree change in direction, and slopes uphill. Has the other car got closer I made it my goal to see if I could out pace them and come out on the other side of the mountain first. The guy got closer, I dropped to 4th, and the bend started. I was doing about 70mph when I first reached it, and being egged on by the fact his front bumper was dead even with my back bumper, I dropped the pedal to the floor. I held it like that for what felt like an eternity, and I looked in my rear view mirror and realized he was still in my blind spot, he too had decided to speed up. It became a case of who would lift first and accept defeat. I decided I already had my fun for that turn, and backed out of it and hit 5th just before it straightened out, and he quickly flew by me like I was standing still, it was a 4th gen mustang, bright red. Seeing him go by, and realizing there was still more turns to have fun on, I dropped back to 4th to catch up, and then the two of us proceeded to follow each other around the twists and turns. Almost out of instinct I was watching the back end of his car, seeing where on the road he was lining up, and looking for brake lights signaling a sharper turn was just up ahead for me. All too soon the ride was over, the path straightened out and returned to a flat stretch of lonely road. Made me wish we had more roads like that nearby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home